Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Walking Into The Arena

Inspired by the words below written a long time ago by President Teddy, I wrote some prose today.

"It is not the critic who counts; 
not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles,
 or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, 
whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; 
who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again.
because there is no effort without error and shortcoming;
 but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, 
the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause;
who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and
who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly....."
~Theodore Roosevelt 
I want to be the one in the arena.
I have no time for critics or the callous skin of a judger.
I feel excitement rising as I build with tools of failure, some success,  and vulnerability.
Too many great enthusiasms, and not enough hours in the day, but that won't stop me.
I can't let it stop me. 
As I step up to the arena's in life I hear the great cloud of witnesses who have gone before me.
Chanting fight the good fight win the race. 
Don't get weary in doing good. 
I also hear the whispers of the critic, the one who would come only to rob, kill, and destroy what new vision has been birthed in me. 
To silence the voice of the enemy we have to listen to the friend.
The one who comes along side not even saying a word.
A hand reached out to walk beside me.
Putting one foot in front of the other we walk into the arena and we dare greatly....
Believing tomorrow will be better.
It has to be.
If only made better by one small choice at a time.
One time of laying down ego to pick up humility, and ask for help.
Help me to grow.
Help me to learn.
Help me to trust.
Help me to love again, and again, and again.

No comments:

Blog design ©2012 Design by Alyx