Wednesday, January 04, 2017

My New Years Word for 2017

(above picture taken circa 10 years ago)

The day after Christmas this year, my word for 2017 came like a gentle nudge from an old friend.
PURPOSEFUL

I'm not talking about finding my life's purpose because I have known for many years what that is.
It's not wrapped up in a career or even a role I fulfill like wife, mother, sister, friend. 
That's not to say that those don't give me purpose or reason to get up and get moving, but they are not my sole purpose on this planet. 
I know my gifts, my strengths and weaknesses.
 I know who my creator is so I have that source of constant fulfillment and purpose like a river running through my veins on the daily. 
Knowing the Lover of my Soul and pursuing Him in all things = My one small life's purpose.
"The meaning of life is to find your gift.
The purpose of life is to give it away."

I feel content in those areas.
I think the word that has come my way for 2017 came about because the older I'm getting the more I'm realizing that unless I prioritize something or someone then those gifts I want to give don't get given. 
(Say that 5 times fast) 
I think it might have something to do with how fast time seems to keep going.
The older I get the faster the arms on that life clock get spinning. 
Faster and faster,
And so it goes.
I know I'm not alone in feeling this way about Father Time.
You want to catch up to him and YELL, Slow the Hell Down!!
But he is like the Gingerbread man just taunting you to try and catch him if you can.
We all know we can't catch Father time and make him slow down or even stop so you can catch your breath, but I have moments where I sit straight up and think I am going to carpe the hell out of this diem!
I think it was a moment like that where this word for 2017 was birthed from.
As I was sitting in my bed the day after Christmas, I was thinking about the amazing weekend of fun with my Fab 4 kids and My Giant who spoiled me beyond belief this year.
I thought about the time I spent with my mom and dad and brothers and sisters.
 I thought about how grateful I am for this one small life. 
I thought about all the people I wanted to thank for my amazing 42nd Birthday that had just happened the week before.
I remembered how once upon a time I used to be so organized and good at writing thank you cards for moments just like this. 
So I sat up with coffee in hand and started writing them all thank you cards.
In that moment I realized I want to be more purposeful with my days ahead.
I want to make lists and check them twice. 
I want to stop procrastinating.
I want to show up with this one small life. 
I want to give away what I've been given and be purposeful in doing so.
I realize that as I head into 2017 I won't completely be able to accomplish all of these wants, intentions, and desires because time limits us to only 24 hours. 
I will try with every ounce of my being though to continue to give away what God has given me. 
I will wake up each day and pray this prayer;
"Use me God.
Show me how to take who I am,
Who I want to be, 
And what I can do, 
and use it for a PURPOSE greater than myself." 
This above photograph is one of my all time favorites of Poppa Tom with his buddy Isaiah, many moons ago. When I see this picture I'm reminded that as I head into a new year, with new ideas, and new priorities I don't walk alone. 
I'm grateful for moments just like this one so long ago that so fully captures what it looks like to walk out life with our buddies by our sides and hearts full of adventure, and purpose. 
Wish me God speed beloved reader and I wish you the Happiest and Most Purposeful of New Years!
 

No comments:

Blog design ©2012 Design by Alyx