Monday, January 23, 2017

Love. Acceptance. Forgiveness.

I have so many thoughts running through my head regarding the Women's March that happened on Saturday. Millions of women, men, and children came out to be a voice for LOVE and ACCEPTANCE. I wanted to jump up and down with excitement when I heard of the numbers of people that got out there and spoke up for equality and respect for ALL human life.
It reminded me of the ah-ha moment I had when I read this book many moons ago that forever changed my life. 
It moved me in a different direction and how I now choose to walk out my faith.
It was a worldview changer for me for sure.
The message is as simple as the title of the book, and the author was as authentic and legit as any man could be. In his time here on earth he made an impact. The impact was similar to many great leaders, but maybe not as polarized because he led a quiet life in Gresham Oregon.
His name was Jerry Cook and the book is called Love, Acceptance, and Forgiveness. 
The title is packed with big words that comes with all kinds of emotional baggage, and at the same time those three words have the capacity, and power for true healing and restoration.
 Love.

I understand that not everyone has had unconditional love in their life.
  In fact, I know I am in the minority of those who have shared a relationship with several people where their love has caused them to flourish instead of whither and die.
That's not to say that I haven't ever experienced a relationship with someone that I love where they have had destructive behavior toward me and toward others. I've been lied to in the name of love, and friendship. I've been rejected because I spoke truth in the name of love and it hurts.
 
"Our love for others must never be confused as a license for their destructive behavior toward us, toward others or toward themselves. Love commits itself to their "highest good" and stands stubbornly and relentlessly against their destruction from any quarter."
It's helpful for me to know that I don't have to continue to subject myself to that kind of behavior in the name of "love" but that I can continue to pray for those people who have hurt me and hold them at arms length until God says otherwise. 
If he ever does.
But there is a love offered to everyone that brings life and hope, and never fails. 
John 3:16

It's this love that gives me the ability to truly love everyone and wish no ill will on my fellow man or woman.

 
Acceptance.

I realize that as a white, suburban wife and mom in most circles I'm generally accepted. 
(Unless of course you find tattoos offensive)
I've never really known what it's like to not be accepted because of how I was born.
In my lifetime I have been so fortunate to live in a country where I have the freedom as a woman to wear what I want and have a voice.
I don't have to fear that if I burn my husbands dinner I will be chained outside and treated like a dog.
I have a family who loves me and a husband who is still my best friend 23 years later. 
I also have been so incredibly blessed in this life to be
friends and even family with those who aren't generally accepted in most circles of life. 
Some of my closest friends are people that when they walk into a room people automatically make preconceived judgements about them.
They are rejected simply for the color of their skin or clothing they wear or who they choose to hold hands with.
Their rejection has strangely become my own and I feel a strong urge to speak up and out for them, on behalf of them. 


"Unreserved acceptance of people should be a habit with us."

The "us" Jerry is referring to there is Christ followers or Christians. 
Why is it that a people group that should be the most loving, the most accepting is often times the most judgmental and unforgiving? 
It saddens my heart beyond belief that Jesus is represented by a people group that often times come across as THE MOST judgmental and therefore hypocritical than any other on planet earth!
I want to shake people sometimes and say, don't you know Jesus hung out with prostitutes and thieves  and without a doubt if he was here in body today would be among those that marched this past weekend and he might have hung out at a gay bar afterward!
(Insert wide eyed emoticon here)

But I digress. 
It is the acceptance that I feel on a daily basis from the lover of my soul that has given me the capacity to accept others even if they challenge my way of life to the core. 
When I read about Jesus in the book of John I see one who loved without reservation or judgement. 
You can't stop this kind of love and it scares people. 
It's a force that has to be reckoned with and is the very reason He was crucified. 
His love scared the people who thought love and acceptance should only be shown to an elite people group. 
If Jesus taught us nothing else in his short 33 years here it is that love and acceptance for ALL people is what the heart of God is all about. 


Forgiveness.

I am only given the capacity to forgive those who have wounded and damaged me because of this great love and acceptance I have felt from the very young age of 13. This kind of forgiveness is a learned way of life. 
"I'm learning to live without you now, 

But I miss you sometimes.

The more I know, the less I understand, 

All the things I thought I knew, I'm learning again.

I've been tryin' to get down 

To the heart of the matter

But my will gets weak 
And my thoughts seem to scatter
But I think it's about forgiveness, 
Forgiveness
Even if, even if you don't love me anymore."



The longer I live the more I want to live in such a way that truly reflects HIS LOVE, HIS ACCEPTANCE, and HIS FORGIVENESS. 
 When you spend time with the great lover of your soul, your creator, it
then becomes habit to forgive those that hurt you.
This comes only after many years of realizing that to not forgive them only hurts you more.
A hardened, unforgiving stubborn state of mind closes you off to a world of true
 freedom.

After seeing millions of families come out and march this past Saturday I am filled with hope that there are more people out there whose voices won't be silenced. 
The love, acceptance, and forgiveness that we are able to cultivate to the best of our ability will be in the end what lasts thru the test of time.
When we look into another persons eyes and see them, and accept them for who they are with no agenda, when we recognize we bleed the same color red, and feel the same about much more than we think we do, then we get to experience a little heaven on earth!

Sign me up for that.   
 


No comments:

Blog design ©2012 Design by Alyx